1. Which Indian filmstars was recently conferred Honorary Doctorate by Bedfordshire University, (U.K.)?
(A) Amitabh Bachhan
(B) Shah Rukh Khan
(C) Om Puri
(D) Amir Khan
2. Williams Sisters won the U.S. Open Women’s Doubles Title 2009 after defeating in the final?
(A) Leizal Herber and Cara Blank
(B) Kim Clijsters and Anna Kournikova
(C) Coroline Wozniacki and Dinara Safina
(D) Nathalie Deshy and Sania Mirza
3. Which one of the following is a military alliance?
4. The recipient of the 42nd Jan Peeth Award is?
(A) Manohar Shastri
(B) Harish Pandya
(C) Satya Vrat Shastri
(D) K. Kamal Kumar
5. World Development Report is an annual publication of?
(D) World Bank
6. Which one of the following is correct?
(A) Jeev Milkha Singh —Tennis
(B)Jhulan Goswami —Cricket
(C)Baichung Bhutia —Hockey
(D) Pankaj Advani —Badminton
7. Which one of the following industrialists was declared ‘The Business Person of the year 2008’ by the Times of India Survey?
(A) Anil Ambani
(B) Rahul Bajaj
(C) Ratan Tata
(D) Gautam Adani
8. Naina Devi peak forms a part of?
(A) Himalayan range located in Sikkim
(B) Himalayan range located in Kumaon region
(C) Himalayan range located in Nepal
(D) Himalayan range located in Jammu & Kashmir
9. The aim of the ISRO’s OCEANSAT-2 satellite is?
(A) To provide ocean scientists knowledge about mineral resources under the sea
(B) To aid fishermen in identifying fishing zones
(C) To aid weathermen to fore cast cyclones and weather conditions
(D) All the above
10. Who amongst the following is not the recipient of the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award?
(A) Vijendra Singh
(B) Sushil Kumar
(C) M. C. Marykom
(D) Abhinav Bindra
11. Nilgiri, Himgiri and Beas are?
(A) Aircraft Carrier ships
(C) Nuclear submarines
(D) Oil tankers of ONGC
12. The age of a free can be calculated by?
(A) Number of branches
(B) Its height
(C) Girth of its trunk
(D) Number of its annual rings
13. Which one of the statements below explains the external economies of scale?
(A) Starting a computer firm in a Techno Park to avail the expertise
(B) Expanding firms employing specialist accountants, lawyers and managers
(C) A manufacturer spreading the research and development cost over the output
(D) A major supermarket gaining bulk discounts on direct purchase
14. Which one of the following types of unemployment is common in agriculture?
15. A rolling plan refers to a plan which?
(A) Does not change its targets every year
(B) Changes its allocations every year
(C) Changes its allocations and targets every year
(D) Changes only its targets every year
16. An instrument of qualitative credit control in India is
(A) Open market operations
(B) Credit rationing
(C) Change in reserve ratio
(D) Bank rate policy
17. Laisss-faire is a feature of?
(D)) Mixed Economy
18. Which one of the following is not a source of the tax revenue in
(A) Land Revenue
(B) Motor Vehicle Tax
(C) Entertainment Tax
(D) Corporate Tax
19. CSO has changed its base year for National Income estimation.
The new base year is?
20. Which is the biggest enterprise of the Government of India?
(A) Postal and Telegraph
21. In which type of competition does Marginal Revenue Curve coincide with Average Revenue Curve?.
(B) Imperfect Competition
(C) Perfect Competition
(D) Monopolistic Competition
22. According to J. A. Schumpeter, entrepreneurs are entitled to enjoy the profit for their
(B) Risk taking
(C) Risk averting
(D) Hard work
23. Demonstration effect means
(A) Effect of advertisement
(B) Imitating effect of consumption
(C) Effect of entertainment
(D) Effect of an experiment
24. Homogeneous product is a feature of?
(A) Imperfect market
(D) Perfect market
25. Which part of the Indian Constitution declares the Ideals of Welfare State?
(A) Fundamental Rights
(B) Fundamental Duties
(D) Directive Principles of State Policy
26. Who said, “Parliamentary System provides a daily as well as a periodic assessment of the Gov ernment” ?
(A) Dr. B. R. Ambedkar
(B) Shri B. N. Rao
(C) Shri Jawahar Lal Nehru
(D) Dr. Rajendra Prasad
27. The legal advisor to the State Government is known as?
(D)State Public Prosecutor
28. The maximum duration of Zero Hour in Lok Sabha is?
(A) 30 minutes
(B) One hour
(C) Two hours
29. Which agency acts as coordinator between Union Government,
Plaiming Commission and State Governments?
(A) National Integration Council
(B) Finance Commission
(C)National Development Council
(D) Inter-State Council
30. When will demand become a grant?
(A) When a demand is pro posed
(B) After the discussion on demand is over
(C) After the demand is granted
(D) When the Budget Session is dosed
31. What makes the Judiciary the guardian of the Constitution?
(B) Service Conditions
(D) Judicial Review
32. What is the name of Judicial organ of UNO?
(A) Supreme Court
(B) Court of International Justice
(C) Judicial Forum
(D) International Court of Justice
33. The Election disputes regarding the Election of President and Vice-President can be heard by?
(B) Central Election Commission
(C) Supreme Court
(D) Attorney-General of India
34. Balwant Rai Mehta Committee suggested that the structure of Panchayati Raj should consist of?
(A) The village, the block and the district levels
(B) The mandal and the district levels
(C) The village, the district and the State levels
(D) The village, the mandal, the district and the State levels
35. Which of the following has banned ‘floor crossing’ by the members elected on a party ticket to the legislature?
(A) 52nd Constitution Amendment
(B) Representation of People Act
(C) National Security Act
(D) Maintenance of Internal Security Act
36. The expression ‘Creamy Layer’ used in the judgment of the Supreme Court relating to the case regarding reservations refers to-
(A) Those sections of society which pay Income-tax
(B) Those sections of socially and educationally backward classes of the society that are economically advanced
(C) Those sections of the society that are considered advanced according to Karpuri Thakur formula
(D) All sections of upper castes of the society
37. When was the Panchtantra written?
(A) Maurya Period
(B) Kanishka Period
(C) Gupta Period
(D) Harsha Period
38. Which one among the following is regarded as the ‘Magna Carta’ of Indian education?
(A) Wood’s Despatch
(B) Hunter’s Commission
(C) Sadler Commission
(D) Wardha Scheme
39. The battle of Mahabharata believed to have been fought in
(A) 14 days
(C) 18 days
(D) 20 days
40. The Mukteswara Temple is located at?
41. Which king of the Gupta Dynasty was called the ‘Napoleon of
(B) Chandragupta Vikramaditya
(C) Sri Gupta
42. Between which two rulers
the First Battle of
(A) Akbar and Bahlol Lodi
(B) Babur and Ibrahim Lodi
(C) Bairam I and Sikandar Lodi
(D) Shah Jahan and Daulat Lodi
43. Who is the author of Ain-I-Akbari?
(A) Abul Fazal
44. During sleep. man’s blood pressure?
(D) Remains constant
45. Which reformer from Maharashtra was known as Lokhitavadi?
(A) Pandit Ramabai
(B) Gopal Krishna Gokhale
(C) M. G. Ranade
(D) Gopal Hari Deshmukh
46. ‘Din-e-Ilahi’ of Akbar was not a success because?
(A) After Akbar, it was not patronized
(B) The Muslims did not accept other religious practices
(C) It was not suitably projected to the masses
(D) All the above
47. Who was the author of the book ‘My Experiments with Truth’?
(A) Aurobindo Ghosh
(B) Bal Gangadhar Tilak
(C) M K G andhi
(D) Vinoba Bhave
48. Give the correct chronological order of the following events?
1. Formation of Muslim League
2. Formation of All India Untouchability League
3. Formation of All India Trade Union Congress
4. Formation of Indian National Congress
49. 80% of the coal in India comes from?
(A) Jharia and Raniganj
(B) Kantapalli and Singareni
(C) Singrauli and Korba
50. Dry zone agriculture in India con tributes nearly 40% of the total
(A) Commercial crops
(B) Fodder crops
(C) Food crops
(D) Plantation products
51. The precipitation consisting of a mixture of snow and rain is?
52.‘Operation Flood’ was launched in 1970 to
(A) Control floods
(B) Increase milk production
(C) Improve water sources
(D) Construct more dams
53. Photogrammetry is?
(A) Portraying gradient
(B) Movement of setlines
(C) A method of solving geo metrical problems
(D) Use of photography in surveying and mapping
54. The spice State of India is?
(A) Tamil Nadu
55. Jog Falls is found across the river?
56. Which of the following sea ports of India is the main outlet for export of Tea?
57. The International Date Line .pas through the?
(A) Pacific Ocean
(B) Atlantic Ocean
(C) Indian Ocean
(D) Arctic Ocean
58. Which of the following is not a form of precipitation?
59. Which of the following is a Great Circle?
(A) The Tropic of Cancer
(B) The Arctic Circle
(C) The Equator
(D) The Tropic of Capricorn
60. Tides in the sea have stored in them?
(A) Hydraulic energy
(B) Kinetic energy
(C) Gravitational potential energy
(D) A combination of all the above
61. Which component of blood is considered as the guard cell of
62. Camel can walk easily in the desert, because?
(A) It has thick skin
(B) It can maintain water level in the body
(C) It has a layer of fat under the skin to combat heat
(D) It has long legs with padded paws
63. The function of arteries in our body is to?
(A) Carry blood away from the heart
(B) Purify the blood
(C) Manufacture White Blood Corpuscles
(D) Carry blood back to the heart
64. Plants climb by means of?
65. This term is associated with the Biology of silkworms.
66. Pick out the correct sequence of a simple land food chain
67. Sex in human beings is deter mined by?
68. Deficiency of fluorine in drinking water causes?
(A) Dental caries (cavity)
(B) Dental fluorosis
(C) Skeletal fluorosis
69In man,urea is formed in?
(D) Urinary Bladder
70. The most important function of perspiration is?
(A) Get rid of the body wastes
(B) Regulate body temperature
(C) Regulate body wastes
(D) Lubricate the skin
71. ECG is the instrument that records?
(A) Potential difference of cardiac muscles
(B) Rate of respiration
(C) Rate of glomerular filtration
(D) Volume of blood pumped
72. Hot spot is an area having?
(A) Wide variety of species
(B) Wealth of endemic species
(C) Rich variety of flora and fauna
(D) Conserving species in natural habitat
73. Electromagnet is used in a?
(A) Calling bell
(D) Washing machine
74. Kilo Watt Hour represents the unit for?
75. A transformer is used to?
(A) Convert mechanical energy into electrical energy
(B) Convert alternating current into direct current
(C) Convert direct current to alternating current
(D) Transform alternating cur rent voltage
76. Clear nights are colder than cloudy nights because of?
77. A stick partly dipped in water appears broken due to?
(C) Total internal reflection
78. What is condensation?
(A) Change of gas into solid
(B) Change of solid into liquid
(C) Change of vapour into liquid
(D) Change of heat energy into cooling energy
79. Kinetic energy is converted into electrical energy in?
(A) Electric Motor
80. Floppy disk is an example of?
(A) Read Only Memory
(B) Random Access Memory
(C) Cache Memory
(D) Secondary Storage Memory
81. Which of the following com pounds are sprayed over clouds to cause artificial rain ?
(D) NH4 Cl
82. Iodine deficiency in diet is known to cause?
83. The refrigeration of the food articles keeps them fresh, because?
(A) Water forms crystals
(B) Chemical reaction is slowed down
(C) Chemical reaction take place faster
(D) Bacteria are killed
84. Which substance is called the ‘liquid gold’?
(A) Gold as a liquid form
(B) Sodium as a liquid form
(C) Mustard oil
(D) Petroleum oil
85 Percentage of silver in German silver is?
86. Which type of compounds are sugar and common salt?
(A) Both are organic compounds
(B) Both are inorganic com pounds
(C) Sugar is an organic com pound and common salt is an inorganic compound
(D) Sugar is inorganic com pound and common salt is an organic compound
87. The chemical name of Vitamin ‘E’ is—
(A) Ascorbic acid
88. Which of the following gases has bleaching property?
(A) Carbon dioxide
(B) Carbon Monoxide
89. The heaviest body of our Solar system is?
90. From amongst the following; name the famous Indian ornithologist
(A) Dr. Salim All
(B) Dr. Gopalasamudram Ramachandran
(C) Dr. J. B. S. Haldane
(D) Dr. H. C. Khorana
91. Who performed the longest space journey in the year 2007?
(A) Venus Williams
(B) ‘Serena Williams
(C) Sunita William
(D) Sir John William
92. ‘The Lost Child’ was written by?
(A) Nirad C. Chowdhury
(B) Mulk Raj Anand
(C) Khushwant Singh
(D) Annie Besant
93. Dr. M. S. Swarninathan has distinguished himself in which of the following fields?
(A) Nuclear Physics
94. The Headquarters of UNESCO is at?
(D) New York
95. January 15 is celebrated as the?
(A) Army Day
(B) Martyr’s Day
(C) Independence Day
96. Bijapur is known for its?
(A) Heavy rainfall
(B) Rock Temple
(C) Gol Gumbaj
(D) Statue of Gomateshwara
97. The Americans are also known as?
(D) None of the above
98. India lifted the ONGC Nehru Cup, 2009 after defeating in the
(C) Sri Lanka
99. An element which does not react
with oxygen is?