Important International Organisations General Knowledge Quiz
1. Which of the following are true regarding the U.N.?
1. It promotes world peace.
2. It fosters free trade.
3. It encourages socialism.
4. It secures, disarmament.
(a) 1 and 4
(b 2 and 3
(c) l, 2 and 3
(d)1, 2, 3 and 4
2. Which of the following countries is not a member of SAARC?
3. The United Nations is considered as a universal organisation. Which organ of the United nations fully represents the fact ?
(a) The General Assembly
(b) The Security Council
(c) The Economic and Social Council
(d) The Secretariat
4. G-15 is a group of
(a) developing countries
(b) developed countries
(c) non aligned countries
5. Which org of the United Nations has ceased to be operational?
(a) Economic and Social Council
(b) Trusteeship Council
(c) International Court of Justice
6. The headquarters of UNESCO is at
(d) New York
7. The SAARC movement was launched for
(a) political alliances
(b) military strategy
(c) regional cooperation
(d) cultural exchanges
8. How many countries are presently members of the Non Aligned Movement?
9. Which of the following is used by the International Court of Justice in disputes concerning parian rights?
(a) Helsinki Agreement
(b) Paris Agreement
(c) Reykjavik Agreement
(d) Geneva Agreement
10. Which of the following international organizations has started the scheme Partnership for ‘Peace’ for a group of nations?
(a) North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO)
(b) Organisation of African Unity (OAU)
(c) Organ of Petroleum Exporting Countries(OPEC)
(d) Economic and Social Commission for Asia and Pacific (ESCAP)
(e) South -East Asia Treaty Organisation (SEATO)
11. Which of the following are special agencies of the
(a) l & 2
(b) 2 & 3
(c) l, 3 & 4
(d) 2, 3 & 4
12. Which of the following describes correctly the Group of seven countries (G-7)?
(a) They are countries who can launch their own satellites.
(b) They are developing countries.
(c) They are industrialized countries.
(d) They are holding Atomic Bomb technology.
(e) None of these
13 United Nations adopted a Charter of Economic Rights in the year
14. ICOMOS -International Council for Monuments and Sites, a wing of UNESCO, included which monument as world heritage?
(a) Khajuraho of Madhya Pradesh
(b) Sanchi Stupa
(c) Brihadisvara temple of Tamil Nadu
(d) None of these
15. G-7 includes
(d) South Africa
16. Vietnam joined U.N.O in the year
17. What is the number of non -permanent members of the Security Council?
18. The international township built near Pondicherry in India in collaboration with NESCO is
19. The International Court of Justice is located at
20. In acronym SAARC, ‘C stand for
(b) Common wealth
21. Which of the following countries, is not a member of G-15?
22. Permanent Secretariat to coordinate the implementation of SAARC programme is located at
(b) New Delhi
23. Who was the first Indian to be the President of UN General Assembly?
(a) Ramesh Bhandari
(b) V.K. Krishna Menon
(c) Natwar Singh
(d) Mrs. Vijay Lakshmi Pandit
24. What is the main objective of the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and Pacific (ESCAP) at present?
(a) Providing UN assistance for cultural ex change among the countries located in Asia and Pacific region
(b) Reconstruction of war -devastated countries located in Asia and Pacific region
(c) Recommending UN assistance to the countries located in Asia and Pacific region
(d) Helping in social and economic development for the countries located in Asia and Pacific region
25. Which of the following is not a chief organ of the United Nations organizations?
(a) General Assembly
(b) Security Council
(c) International Court of Justice
(d) International Labour Organisation
26. OECD is engaged in which of the following activities?
(a) Privatization and reconstruction of the east block countries
(b) Environmental protection
(c) To optimize population growth in some European countries having negative population growth.
(d) Encouraging world trade and economic progress and aid under developed nations
27. The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) is located at which of the following places?
28. The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) has how many member countries?
29. The five permanent members of the UN Security Council are
(a) Canada, China, France, RUSSIA and U.S.A
(b) China, France, U.S.S R, U.K. and U.S.A
(c) Japan, Germany, RUSSIA., U.K. and U.S.A
(d) West Germany, China, RUSSIA., U.K. and U.S.A
30. Headquarters of the World Health Organisation is located at
(b) New York
(d) Washington D.C.
31. The headquarters of the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) is located in which city?
(b) New York
32. Amnesty International has its headquarters at
(a) New York
33. How is the new membership of United Nations affected?
(a) The admission of any state as member will be affected by a decision of the Security Council on the recommendations of the General Assembly.
(b) The admission of any state as member will be affected by a decision of the General Assembly on the recommendation of the Security Council.
(c) The admission of any state as member will be affected by a decision of the Security Council and General Assembly.
(d) The admission of any state as member will be affected by a decision of new membership Council followed by a voting in General Assembly.
34. Which of the following countries is not a member of SAARC?
(d) Sri Lanka
35. When was SAARC founded?
(a) 1982 A.D.
(b) 1983 AD.
(c) 1984 AD.
(d) 1985 A.D.
36. Which of the following is not a member of G-7?
37. Pakistan had pulled itself out of Commonwealth in the year
38. The working language (s) of the UNESCO is/are
(a) English only
(b) French only
(c) English and French
(d) English, French and Russian
39. Which of the following countries is not a member of Group 15 developing countries?
40. The International Human Rights Convention adopted by the United Nations in 1990 relates to
(c) state less persons
(d) migrant workers
41. The first Secretary General of UNO was
(a) U .Thant
(b) Trygve Lie
(c) Kurt Waldheim
(d) Dag Hamarskjoeld
42. The main aim of SAARC is
(a) Peaceful Coexistence
(b) Regional cooperation
(c) Non -alignity
(d) Non -interference in other’s internal affairs
43. How many former republics of RUSSIA. have become members of the Commonwealth of Independent States?
44 The Indian Red Cross Society was established in the year
45. The office of the UN General Assembly is
(c) New York
46. The Economic and Social Commission for Asia and Pacific (ESCAP) is located at
(c) Kuala Lumpur
47. First Indian to make a speech in Hindi before the UN General Assembly is
(a) Lal Bahadur Shastri
(b) A.B. Vajpayee
(c) Lal Krishna Advani
(d) Morarji Desai
48. Which one of the following statements regarding the ‘ power in the Security Council is correct according to the United Nations Charter?
(a) The decisions of the Security Council on all
non procedural matters must be made by an affirmative vote of nine members, including the concurring votes of the permanent members of the Council.
(b) Every permanent member of the Security Council can prevent any decision from being accepted, by vetoing it.
(c) The term veto was used in Article 27 of the United Nations Charter to enable any per permanent member of the Security Council to prevent any resolution from being passed by the majority.
(d) Any member of the Security Council can prevent any resolution from being passed by
voting against it.
49. The following persons had served as Secretary Generals of the U.N.
1. Trygve Lie
2. Dag Hamarskjoeld
3. U. Thant
4. Kurt Waldheim
The correct chronological order in which they held that post is
50. People's Republic of China was awarded China's seat in the United Nations by UN General Assembly Resolution 2758 in year